Need advice

Brendan Murphy bmurf at comcast.net
Mon Apr 17 23:23:02 CDT 2006

OK, I need some advice here.

I upgraded from 1.11 to 2.3 and everything seems pretty good. I am
using the valentina database in the local single file database
format. I treat the databases like documents to the end user. With
version 1.11 the relationship between the segment size and the
size of the file was proportional. The bigger the segment the
bigger the file. So I settled on 8k segment sizes as a compromise
for performance/size ratio.

With version 2.3, the internals have changed, so I am assuming my
previous measurements don't apply. Starting over...

Here are my questions (context valentina 2.3 with local
databases):

1) Does segment size affect performance of the database? Is it
faster if I use a larger segment size?

2) Does segment size affect file size? I have noticed files I have
created start out small then suddenly jump in file size when
updated later, which is OK, but it is the steady state size of the
database that I am interested in.

3) Are there any other factors that have an effect on file size?

My goal for the project I am working on is to minimize the file
size since the end user will be using some form of version control
on the target document. If I can tweak the the segment size to
control file sizes without affecting user perceived performance.

In general I am "very" pleased with the speed of valentina and if
chosing a specific segment setting creates smaller files, I would
be happy camper.