Valentina Developer Program For Priority Fixes: Your FeedbackWanted

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Thu Oct 13 09:48:47 CDT 2005

> > What do you all think?
>
> I like the current situation, which is that as soon as I
> report a bug and it can be reproduced, it gets fixed, except
> of course for VStudio.
> I suppose I worry that the incentives of a "quick fix"
> program might change that.  But I can certainly see that
> having the option to get problems fixed more or less
> instantly would be reassuring.

Right, and this is also something that been a concern. From the perspective
of motivation, you'd wonder if we wouldn't be motivated not to fix issues
because otherwise, we'd get a reward for holding back and having it paid
for.

I think many of you are familiar with seeing info about my other company,
Proactive International (Im a major participant in Paradigma, but there's a
guy named Ruslan also there as well :-)). Proactive does offers very
complex, business development services, that requires very intensive
cooperation with our clients, with many checks and balances. Something I
learned much to my regret in my last "big corporation" job is that it only
takes a few dumb-ass comments from an uninvited VP at a business meeting to
turn a $ (*) million relationship into something really smelly. Our clients
are often shocked at the 14+ page contract we present to them. Invariably
the portions that raise the most questions, I have to respond about what
companies are incentivized to do, without a lot of "what ifs" incorporated
into the agreement.

Im very aware of and acknowledge the potential incentivization for having
such a program. I don't have a good answer for that which is as solid as the
thumb-screws I put into contracts. On the other hand, Paradigma is highly
motivated to have happy customers. It is really helpful to see positive
comments elsewhere, where a developer talks about how Ruslan did a 48 hour
sleepless fix to help someone deliver a project on time. Also, I do not want
to turn Paradigma into a type of consulting company, and relying on revenues
from these kinds of fixes would efffectively turn us into one. Consulting is
the business of our customers, and why VDN was developed the way it was.

So yeah, Ive been thinking about that, too :-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President
Paradigma Software, Inc

Joining Worlds of Information

Deploy True Client-Server Database Solutions
Royalty Free with Valentina Developer Network