compilation Classic failed in rb2005

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Tue Jun 21 17:00:01 CDT 2005

>On 6/21/05 1:54 PM, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at robelko.com> wrote:
>
>>  Sorry to barge in but I can't resist seeing these over-generalizations...
>
>:-)
>
>I knew this will start big flame

Well, I don't really want to argue but I felt what you said was an
overstatement. It might be how you feel about where Valentina is
going but it is not fair to say such doomsay to all of us.

>There was time when MAC developer did have only MacOS 9,
>And we have smile on WIN developers which have fight with
>     win 3.1,  win 95, win NT

Well, Mac went through OS7, OS8, OS9 and their incarnations in that
time. And Apple changed the chips several times, each change being
smaller or bigger headache for developers, although they might have
had less impact on end users as it was in Windows world.

>Now I think all in reverse.
>
>Windows have many years stability. But we on MacOS jump as monkeys from
>      Classic to Carbon, then to OS X Macho, then to Intel
>
>I say hardware will start to die, because I think in ONE year you will see
>the number of new apps for PPC reduced in times.

I think you are painting an awfully black picture. Even Apple plans 2
years for the transition to Intel chips. And hardware sales are their
staple, so they will figure out something to keep them going.

>Very soon you will see that promised feature of FAT app become more and more
>limited. Like we have see this with Carbon, which now is limited practically
>to 9.2

Sure. But look how many years passed between OSX announcement until
Macho came. Change is inevitable and developers like you need to
follow the trend but things don't happen overnight. The problem is of
course how much the support of laggards should trail behind.

This was discussed not that long ago at Revolution list. The
concensus was that practically all serious Mac developers (I
distinguish here from hobbysts and folks that work under Windows) are
working under OSX but a number still have large enough audiences of
OS9 customers that they ask RunRev folks to keep OS9 version for a
while yet. Of course, some said they dropped OS9 altogether and see
no need for it.

Paradigma is in a similar situation. What valentina developers use
themselves is one issue but what their customers use is another. This
is something not to forget. And there all those small developers that
do stuff only for themselves or their friends. But few of them hang
on this list I suspect.

Robert