Vserver really slow

Kevin Windham kevo at gatorgraphics.com
Wed Sep 22 10:44:52 CDT 2004

On Sep 22, 2004, at 10:11 AM, Chris Sheffield wrote:
> In one case, a user has a mixed network environment
> (Mac and PC workstations) running off a Windows 2000
> server.  They say they're PC's are performing great,
> but the Mac workstations are extremely slow when
> logging into my program.  When they enter their
> password to login, it sometimes takes as much as 10 or
> 15 seconds before the password is verified and they're
> able to continue.  In another case, it's a strictly PC
> network (Win XP workstatsion and Win 2003 server), but
> they're having similar problems.
>
> I've had them both try restarting their servers, but
> that hasn't made a difference.  Is there something
> else that can be checked to see if VServer is running
> optimally?  Why would PCs work fine, but Macs (OS 9
> and X) on the same network be really slow?  Doesn't
> make sense to me.  If any one has any ideas, I'd be
> grateful.

Chris,

This really sounds like a network problem not a VServer issue. Without
more information, I would guess that they are using a switch and not a
hub. If this is the case, I bet that it has something to do with the
Macs ethernet nic and the switch renegotiating the speed and duplex on
the link. If it is a managed switch, have them lock both ends at that
same speed and duplex. If it is an unmanaged switch, have them set the
Macs to auto, or try both full and half and see if one works better
than the other. Also, it could be cabling.

Anyway, without any more information it is hard to say for sure, but I
would suggest checking the network layer first. I have seen similar
behavior in environments like you describe, and it never had anything
to do with the applications.

HTH,
Kevin