[V4MD] Intermittent setMedia

Scott Runkel srunkel at hypix.com
Tue May 11 13:12:43 CDT 2004

> May be you have small cache size?
> Use 8-20 MB

I seem to be using 4 MB, for no particular reason... I'll increase that to 20 MB
when I'm adding items to the db.

Question -- will a 20 MB cache require the end user to have a faster computer?
More RAM? Etc.

Another question -- should the cache be 8-20 MB just when I'm adding items, or
also 8-20 MB for playback on the user's computer? The database will always be
ReadOnly for playback. I want it to be as fast as possible, we're searching
>1000 fairly long articles (many pages each).

> Also for BLOB you use 128 bytes segment.
> It should be close to AVERAGE size of BLOB data.
> You have told about PAGE of text. This is 2KB.
> Plus you store style info and other.

Good point. I looked at some of the #text members in Director and they are
around 5 or 6KB each. This is BEFORE they are put into Valentina. When I
retrieve them with getMedia(), the resulting #text member reports its size
around 278 or 279 KB (!). Not sure what's going on there.

> I think you can easy play with 1-2 KB segment size
> To see if it is better (by speed and file size)

I'll try 5KB since that's the average. Any downside there?

-SR

Scott Runkel
Director of Technology
Hypix Media, Inc.