[V4MD] Intermittent setMedia

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue May 11 23:19:40 CDT 2004

On 5/11/04 11:12 PM, "Scott Runkel" <srunkel at hypix.com> wrote:

>> May be you have small cache size?
>> Use 8-20 MB
>
> I seem to be using 4 MB, for no particular reason... I'll increase that to 20
> MB when I'm adding items to the db.
>
> Question -- will a 20 MB cache require the end user to have a faster computer?
> More RAM? Etc.

Of course he must have enough RAM,

    your app eat RAM
    cache eat RAM
    Valentina algorithms eat RAM

> Another question -- should the cache be 8-20 MB just when I'm adding items, or
> also 8-20 MB for playback on the user's computer? The database will always be
> ReadOnly for playback. I want it to be as fast as possible, we're searching

Cache affect everything.

And it CAN and often will make searches faster,
Because data will be already in RAM.

>> 1000 fairly long articles (many pages each).
>
>> Also for BLOB you use 128 bytes segment.
>> It should be close to AVERAGE size of BLOB data.
>> You have told about PAGE of text. This is 2KB.
>> Plus you store style info and other.
>
> Good point. I looked at some of the #text members in Director and they are
> around 5 or 6KB each. This is BEFORE they are put into Valentina. When I
> retrieve them with getMedia(), the resulting #text member reports its size
> around 278 or 279 KB (!). Not sure what's going on there.

Really interesting!

>> I think you can easy play with 1-2 KB segment size
>> To see if it is better (by speed and file size)
>
> I'll try 5KB since that's the average. Any downside there?

You can try add one record, or 100 records,
And check file .blb to see how big it is
And calculate disk usage per record.

Downside can be if you in 5KB segment store only 1KB data.
Then you lost 4KB on disk.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com