V4RB varchar-351 error

Cindy Brown cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com
Thu Mar 18 22:17:50 CST 2004

Hi Ruslan

> On 3/18/04 3:27 AM, "Cindy Brown" <cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Cindy,
>
>> I'm back to this major hassle I am having on PC computers where I am
>> reasonably regularly seeing varchar -351 errors. I virtually never get these
>> on the Macintosh, just on the PC. And it seems to work mainly from the
>> workstation to the server. I am sending the data as a packet of information
>> and the program adds, edits or deletes a record where applicable. It seems
>> that the PC works very fast and when a few records are being added extremely
>> quickly, the error appears. Then after a few times of this, the data
>> actually does become corrupted.
>
> Please remind me.
>
> * you developer V4RB project

Yes

> * you have implement own SERVER and own network protocol, yes?

Yes

> * and you have own client that talk to your server?

Yes

> If yes, then I can think only about the next mistake:
>   you have forget in SERVER app do semaphoring of Valentina engine calls.

How do you do this? I am a programmer who taught myself who to program so
I'm not always sure what these things mean.

> We do this in Valentina server alpha, and it works very stable.
>

>> I am unable to produce a small version of this as it would take me quite a
>> few hours to cut my program back so I can send it in a manageable state.
>
> You mean you can send me full project?

The full project including databases and both server and workstation would
be in excess of 100MB uncompressed so would be too large to send. And taking
bits out of it would take a lot of time. I could make it to some degree
smaller but even then it would be very large.

>> Could you please check and see why the PC version is causing these problems.
>
> Problem is that REALbasic (how I hate this) DO NOT allow DEBUG its plugins.
> Really have no way with RB.

This problem is happening in all sorts of different windows environments.
Sometimes I have the server on Mac and the workstation on windows. The error
will then occur on the workstation, virtually never on the Macintosh. If I
have the server on windows and the workstation on windows, I will get the
error on both machines - not all the time, but often enough to cause a
headache with the schools concerned. I must repeat that this problem
virtually never occurs on Macintosh.

--

Cindy Brown
Programmer

Kowhai Programming Systems
PO Box 198, Invercargill
81 Marama Avenue South, 9RD Invercargill
Phone (03) 213 1243
Fax (03) 213 1248
Mobile (021) 354 930
<http://www.kowhaiprogramming.com/>