large BLOB data slow to load

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jun 30 19:05:14 CDT 2004

On 6/30/04 6:58 PM, "Chris Sheffield" <cm_sheffield at yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Chris,

> I have a database with a BLOB field that can get
> pretty large, sometimes up to around 7 or 8 MB.  When
> accessing the database locally, it is extremely fast
> to load, but when accessing the database using
> VServer, it is very slow to load, sometimes taking a
> minute or two.  Can anyone think of why this would be?

Because of network of course.

What speed of your network?
Is this local ethernet or dialup?

> Even when running the server on the same machine as
> my client, and using "localhost" to connect, it is
> very slow.

Aha.

How many records into cursor you get ?

Do you use client cursor?
If yes then this means that ALL your records are read into RAM.
This not happens when you work with local db.

To solve problem you need to use SERVER SIDE cursor.
It will load into RAM only one record.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com