large BLOB data slow to load

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 08:58:25 CDT 2004

I have a database with a BLOB field that can get
pretty large, sometimes up to around 7 or 8 MB.  When
accessing the database locally, it is extremely fast
to load, but when accessing the database using
VServer, it is very slow to load, sometimes taking a
minute or two.  Can anyone think of why this would be?
 Even when running the server on the same machine as
my client, and using "localhost" to connect, it is
very slow.

I have tried increasing the segment size, which has
helped somewhat, but not enough.  Does anyone have any
other ideas I could try?  Right now the database
consists of one .vdb file.  Would it help to split out
the BLOB data?  I keep thinking there's got to be
something I'm missing, because data this size should
not take that long to load over a network.  It
shouldn't take any more than a couple seconds at the
most.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

=====