large BLOB data slow to load

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 30 09:57:42 CDT 2004

Ruslan,

> Because of network of course.
>
> What speed of your network?
> Is this local ethernet or dialup?

My network is usually fast.  It's 10/100 ethernet.
Just a small network in my home office.  If I were to
copy the same data (it's just a file I'm saving in the
database) to another machine on my network, it only
takes about 2 seconds.  So it's not my network.

> Aha.
>
> How many records into cursor you get ?
>
> Do you use client cursor?
> If yes then this means that ALL your records are
> read into RAM.
> This not happens when you work with local db.
>
> To solve problem you need to use SERVER SIDE cursor.
> It will load into RAM only one record.

I'm already doing this.  I'm using a server-side
cursor and only requesting one record from the
database.  It doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm beginning to wonder if there's some kind of bug
with VServer that's causing this.  If there is anyone
out there who can confirm it, I would be grateful.
Just try loading a few MBs of BLOB data into a server
database and see what happens when you try to read
that data.  I think it's taking longer than it should.
 I'm going to try splitting out my BLOB data in a .blb
file and see if anything changes.

Thanks again,

=====
Chris Sheffield