threads and database

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jun 24 12:44:34 CDT 2004

On 6/24/04 12:01 PM, "olivier vidal" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> hi,
>
>>> 1- Several applications customers working simultaneously (an app on
>>> every screen) handled with Valentina server?
>>> ( I am afraid that the interface is too slow)
>>
>> no, because only 1 app can be the front-most.
>>
> it's true !

What is true?

As I understand you use some soft which allow you to have on single computer
few screens, yes Oliver?

Then I do not see problems why each screen can run its own application copy.

>>> 2- A single application with four windows (one by screen), every
>>> window being handled by one or several threads.
>>> The whole working with Valentina. Every call (cursor) to Valentina in
>>> a thread.
>>> ( I am afraid that threads slows down too much the application)
>>
>> It's probably not a good idea to use a single user db, certainly not
>> with threads!  The risk of mixing up data is too big unless you have
>> very simple queries.  (But even then if you needed to grow the app
>> afterwards you could get stuck easily.)
>>
> Thin !
> Valentina is nevertheless a multi-users database, no? I use cursors
> with locks.

Who give above "advice" ???

Valentina far far ago have INDEPENDNT cursors and about year Valentina
record locks. So you can easy develop safe multi-thread applications with
Valentina if you want and if you need. Even in 5 year old archive of
Valentina C++ SDK was example when several threads did calculations on the
same table.

>> My feeling right now would be a *single* window spread over the 4
>> screens, so it's front-most on every screen,
>
> Yes I also think !

Btw, what exactly software you use to get few screens?
And this is inside of the same USER-login to computer?

>> coupled to a multi-user db for data integrity.
>
> Valentina does not seem to you adapted then?

Valentina is perfectly ready for this.

> Would you use threads? If not, how you would make?
> ( The application and the interface must be fast)

What is faster of Valentina?! :-)

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com