threads and database

olivier vidal vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr
Thu Jun 24 11:01:49 CDT 2004

hi,

>> 1- Several applications customers working simultaneously (an app on
>> every screen) handled with Valentina server?
>> ( I am afraid that the interface is too slow)
>
> no, because only 1 app can be the front-most.

it's true !

>> 2- A single application with four windows (one by screen), every
>> window being handled by one or several threads.
>> The whole working with Valentina. Every call (cursor) to Valentina in
>> a thread.
>> ( I am afraid that threads slows down too much the application)
>
> It's probably not a good idea to use a single user db, certainly not
> with threads!  The risk of mixing up data is too big unless you have
> very simple queries.  (But even then if you needed to grow the app
> afterwards you could get stuck easily.)

Thin !
Valentina is nevertheless a multi-users database, no? I use cursors
with locks.

> My feeling right now would be a *single* window spread over the 4
> screens, so it's front-most on every screen,

Yes I also think !

> coupled to a multi-user db for data integrity.

Valentina does not seem to you adapted then?
Would you use threads? If not, how you would make?
( The application and the interface must be fast)

> This process with multiple mice sounds interesting.  What is it and on
> which platforms can it work?

It is not completely finalized, but that will work on Mac then probably
on pc.

thank you very much Marc,

olivier