Database lost all data V4RB

Cindy Brown cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com
Tue Jun 15 20:52:05 CDT 2004

> On 6/15/04 11:32 AM, "Cindy Brown" <cindy at kowhaiprogramming.com> wrote:
>
>> And it doesn't matter if the diagnose says the db is okay. They have no
>> data. I can try and resurrect files that are corrupt but I can't bring back
>> data. And what do I say to the client who has just lost all their work?
>
>   Make backups -- standard rule.
>
> Cindy, I cannot say that db is corrupted!
>
> Corrupted this is when everything is broken, then diagnose will see that.
> But in your case ALL IS RIGHT. Yes?
>
> I think this can happens only and only if your app have execute delete
> records.
>
> How long they have work?
> If just few minutes then may be all they data was in cache RAM ?

I know backups should be made. Unfortunately clients don't always do what
you suggest. This is not a few minutes data. I wouldn't worry about that.
This is months of data. It is a full student record database which is very
important for the proper running of a school. Yes, the db is alright. But,
Ruslan, there really is NO WAY for the client to delete the records
themselves. There are about 15 base objects in this database and all but 2
are completely empty. One of these alone had about 30,000 records and this
base object CANNOT be deleted with a delete all as I have no options of
deleting all records in any of the base objects.

I haven't come across this at all before. Normally there isn't a problem
because they update to my server and everything is okay. Unfortunately, due
to the previous V4RB error in varchar, the server wasn't bringing across the
info from their office machine and they hadn't updated to the latest
program. I guess we'll just have to go back and see when they did their last
backup. Thanks for responding.

Cindy Brown