[V4RB] Updating index of newly imported records seems to fail for me

Richard Altenburg valentina at brainchild.nl
Sat Jun 5 22:47:45 CDT 2004

On 05-06-2004 20:52, "Ruslan Zasukhin" <sunshine at public.kherson.ua> wrote:

>   RB 5.2.4 + Valentina do work
>   RB 5.5.2 + Valentina cause bug ?

I changed my new project so that it can run in 5.2.4, and it does not work.
Just as in 5.5.2.

When I tried an older 5.2.4 project in 5.5.2 it did work on Windows at one
time. Copying that working code from to the old project into the new project
breaks the working.

> * You have made REINDEX, not helps.

No, REINDEX DATABASE, TABLE and FIELD do not help.

> * you not move dbs from MAC, then this is not that fixed VarChar bug.

OK.

> * you have found problems in Diagnose...let's think.
>   do you create db each time new ?
>   do you import into NEW FRESH empty db ?
>   and after import diagnose() say problems?

I use the same database every time the user starts the program. During
testing, I have removed the database before running the program, but it did
not help.

The diagnose gives problems after ImportText.

> So I afraid you and me have big problems.
> Even if you will send me project and db to reproduce, this not helps.
> We cannot debug REALbasic plugins on Windows.

I will not send you our complete source, but I see it will not help too.
Then we are in major troubles, this will froce me to abandon the Windows
release this week!

> * Are you doing own parsing of text file ?
>   it seems yes.

First I tried with various variations on the ImportText routine. In later
tests I did my own parsing and inserting into the database. Both do not
work.

> * I have almost no idea.
>   - increase cache.
>   - make sure you work on empty fresh db.
>   - make diagnose() before you start import.

This evening I have tested much bigger and smaller cache, both do not work.
I test in an empty database, this does not help.

> * Also I do not understand, you do import.
>   if you close db and open it in viSQL or Valentina Studio
>   then queries works? After reindex?

When I stop my application and open the just created database in ViSQL I can
see that the data is there and I can search and update and delete records.
This does not work in the program itself.

> * are you doing flush, say after each 500 records inserts ?

Not during ImportText, I did test it during my own parsing, and it did not
work.

Still, all is working fine and fast on Mac OS X and Mac OS 9.

I see only one option now: quit working on this bug and rush out the X and 9
releases of our software. I promised to release them tomorrow, and I hope it
will still go as planned.

We have to talk to each other later to work on the Windows bug.

Thanks for trying to help me. This is a very bad situation for my Windows
clients and for me! I hope we soon find a way to work around this problem.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

--

Richard Altenburg
Brainchild        <http://www.brainchild.nl/>