[V4RB] Updating index of newly imported records seems to fail for me

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jun 5 21:52:13 CDT 2004

On 6/5/04 8:24 PM, "Richard Altenburg" <valentina at brainchild.nl> wrote:

>> I changed my code, and now I add the ServerURL to the text file that I
>> import, for every record. So once I import this, there is not only a
>> GroupName in every record, but also the right ServerURL.
>
> After a total rewrite of the method that adds more than 40,000 newsgroup
> names to a table, I still have no success in my Windows builds. And again,
> my new strategy works just fine on Mac OS.
>
> What I did is remove the ImportText routine, and now I do a SQL INSERT INTO
> command for every group on its own, so that is a total of 44,300 INSERT INTO
> actions.
>
> The records are added, the data is actually there, but the indices are not
> working on Windows. I can't search for the groups by their name and
> ServerURL, and I am totally lost now.
>
> I have spent a full 10 hours (!) debugging this situation, and screwed up my
> release schedule completely :-(
>
> And what really makes me crazy, is this: I took the source of the previous
> version of our software, compiled it in the new environment (going from RB
> 5.2.4 to 5.5.2), and it worked, even on WIndows! That is great, but when I
> copy and paste the exact same code over to my new project, it does not work!
> All modules, constants and code are exactly the same, and still it does not
> work.

Richard, please clarify, you have use THE SAME V4RB plugin,
And you have change only REALbasic version?

    RB 5.2.4 + Valentina do work
    RB 5.5.2 + Valentina cause bug ?

> I need some rest, and could use some good advice too!
>
> I won't let this problem mess up a third release. It is now or never,
> because I really had it :-(
>
> Ruslan, if you help me now, you will have a very loyal client :-)

* You have made REINDEX, not helps.

* you not move dbs from MAC, then this is not that fixed VarChar bug.

* you have found problems in Diagnose...let's think.
    do you create db each time new ?
    do you import into NEW FRESH empty db ?
    and after import diagnose() say problems?

The worse is that we have combination REALbasic + Windows.
During 5 years not me, nobody else cannot push REAL to create plugins in
such way that we could debug it on Windows. For example, I can debug with no
problems Director and V4MD, but not V4RB.

So I afraid you and me have big problems.
Even if you will send me project and db to reproduce, this not helps.
We cannot debug REALbasic plugins on Windows.

* Are you doing own parsing of text file ?
    it seems yes.

  so you parse it, and self do INSERT into table.

* I have almost no idea.
    - increase cache.
    - make sure you work on empty fresh db.
    - make diagnose() before you start import.

* Also I do not understand, you do import.
    if you close db and open it in viSQL or Valentina Studio
    then queries works? After reindex?

* are you doing flush, say after each 500 records inserts ?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com