[V4RB] Updating index of newly imported records seems to fail for me

Richard Altenburg valentina at brainchild.nl
Sat Jun 5 19:24:24 CDT 2004

On 05-06-2004 12:39, "Richard Altenburg" <valentina at brainchild.nl> wrote:

> I changed my code, and now I add the ServerURL to the text file that I
> import, for every record. So once I import this, there is not only a
> GroupName in every record, but also the right ServerURL.

After a total rewrite of the method that adds more than 40,000 newsgroup
names to a table, I still have no success in my Windows builds. And again,
my new strategy works just fine on Mac OS.

What I did is remove the ImportText routine, and now I do a SQL INSERT INTO
command for every group on its own, so that is a total of 44,300 INSERT INTO
actions.

The records are added, the data is actually there, but the indices are not
working on Windows. I can't search for the groups by their name and
ServerURL, and I am totally lost now.

I have spent a full 10 hours (!) debugging this situation, and screwed up my
release schedule completely :-(

And what really makes me crazy, is this: I took the source of the previous
version of our software, compiled it in the new environment (going from RB
5.2.4 to 5.5.2), and it worked, even on WIndows! That is great, but when I
copy and paste the exact same code over to my new project, it does not work!
All modules, constants and code are exactly the same, and still it does not
work.

I need some rest, and could use some good advice too!

I won't let this problem mess up a third release. It is now or never,
because I really had it :-(

Ruslan, if you help me now, you will have a very loyal client :-)

--

Richard Altenburg
Brainchild        <http://www.brainchild.nl/>