big table V4RB 1.10, RB 5.52, OS X 10.3

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jun 5 09:48:07 CDT 2004

On 6/5/04 8:52 AM, "olivier vidal" <vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr> wrote:

Hi Oliver,

>> Yes, Add/Delete can be slower.
>
>> I will not recommend to use with Valentina table with so many fields.
>> Because Valentina keep fields in separate files.
>>
>> If you can split table then split it.
>
> I does not understand.
>
> -Why the change at  1 column would set more time (significantly) in a
> table of 150 columns than in a table of 30 columns?

Because Valentina store each filed into separate logical file.
So the more columns the more files, the more disk writes.

When you make cursor with 5 fields on table with 150 fields,
Such cursor will work in 30 times faster of cursor with all fields.

> -Why the addition of 1 line in 1 table of 150 columns would take much
> more time than the addition of 1 line in 1 table of 30 columns + 9
> tables of some columns ?

As you describe it will be the same.

But I have told, USUALLY we do not fill all 10 tables.

IF in your case one each AddRecord() you get 150 parameters,
Then use one table.

IF you never delete 30 parameters leaving 120 in table,
Then use one table.

I.e. If your 150 parameters really form a SINGLE record,
Which can born and die all together then use one table.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com