big table V4RB 1.10, RB 5.52, OS X 10.3

olivier vidal vidal_olivier at yahoo.fr
Sat Jun 5 09:49:45 CDT 2004

> Because Valentina store each filed into separate logical file.
> So the more columns the more files, the more disk writes.
>
> When you make cursor with 5 fields on table with 150 fields,
> Such cursor will work in 30 times faster of cursor with all fields.

Thus, if I use a table with 150 fields, to be effective, it would be
necessary never to use " SELECT * ", but to try to select still only
the necessary fields?

- A cursor of 10 fields will thus work much more quickly in reading
that a cursor of 60 fields because there will be 6 times less of
logical files to be read.
But if I write the value of a SINGLE field. My cursor has 10 or 60
fields, the writing will be made only on 1 logical file?

If 1 single logical file ( 1 single field) is modified, why the writing
would set more time with a cursor of 60 fields than with a cursor of 10
fields?
Because there is only 1 logical file which is modified and not 10 or 60.

thank you Ruslan

olivier