Valentina 2.0. -- What is your 3 DREAM features? Open( readonly)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 31 20:55:44 CST 2004

on 1/31/04 7:39 PM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

>>> -- option to open databases in read-only mode (as parameter to open
>>>  or separate call) regardless whether it is on read-only or read-write
>>>  medium
>>
>> Aha, as flag on open....
>> I afraid not works.
>>
>> Assume files are not marked.
>> One app open as read only. Ok.
>> But other open as read/write => BIG PROBLEMS.
>
> I am not sure problems are so big (at least in my ignorance :)
>
> So what if the other app modifies a content of the field. The first
> app will get the new content (ya, live cursor modifiable by others).
> That is often desirable. If the 2nd app deletes a record, first
> should get an error "recordDeleted". If 2nd app makes any structure
> changes, 1st app returns "cursorNoLongerValid" error. Do I miss
> anything?

Yes,

Now assume that SECOND app also do OPEN in READ/WRITE mode.
Ho I can prevent this?

This is why flag on file protect.

Of course, it is possible to start again speak:
    WRITE apps, must set some LOCKS on files...

But this is again return to SHARED ACCESS to files.

> But, you can (at least initially) restrict that if a db is open for
> read, other apps can open it also for read only. A lock file could be
> used if there is no better way. (A change file could be used to pass
> level of changes from the read/write up.)

Use of lock file, means adding into kernel not needed overhead.

Valentina server is an answer for such tasks.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com