Valentina 2.0. -- What is your 3 DREAM features?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Jan 31 21:02:15 CST 2004

on 1/31/04 7:39 PM, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

>>>  -- valentinaInit returns the size of actually allocated cache
>>
>> Right now.
>
> Hmm. In vxcmd, it returns empty when successful.

Then bug in VXCMD.

>>> -- use opportunity to clean up function/param names in BO-APIs
>>
>> ?
>
> For example, SetStructureEncryption()/SetEncryption() should be
> really called PassStructureEncryptionKey()/PassEncryptionKey() since
> that is what they do. But (cf above) encryption key should be passed
> with OpenEncrypted() not as a separate call aynway.

Aha!

I like OpenEncrypted() !

> A few other examples:
>
> Database_Dump() could be Database_WriteDump() or Database_MakeDump()
> to parallel Database_LoadDump(). May be even better to make them
> Database_ExportDump() and Database_ImportDump() to parallel
> Database_ExportAscii() and Database_ImportAscii(). Anything you write
> out to an external file is export and anything you read from external
> file is import.

I see. Agree.

What about saving of existing code?
You offer to break a little ?

As for me, I also think, it is better to get pain once,
Then each time catch it.

> Cursor_GetField() could be Cursor_GetFieldValue() to match
> Cursor_GetFieldName(), Cursor_GetFieldRef() and also Field_GetValue()
> -- or the latter should be Field_Get to match Cursor_GetField.
> Actually, Cursor_GetFieldContent() and Field_GetContent() would be
> even more appropriate.

Value I think is ok,

> Cursor_SetBlank() does not set the whole cursor so it should be
> Cursor_BlankRecord() or Cursor_SetRecordBlank().

I see...

> I realize that we got used to those names as they are but changing to
> version 2 is a unique opportunity to make function names more
> self-descriptive with less ambiguities. I just like them nice and
> clean and logical :)

No problems.

Just I want to hear where we have not good things.

> A new item:
>
> Do you remember THINK Reference? It was basically a smart searchable
> database that contained syntax of all functions from System Toolbox
> and Think language reference. May be such a database convering all
> your products would be useful for us and you. There would be a
> standalone GUI to use it but the raw database would be also available
> for integration into at least some development environments.

Converting what?

    From 1.x format to 2.0 format?

Or you mean map of above name changes?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com