Strategy for Valentina Deployment

James Kleinschmidt jkleins at shentel.net
Thu Feb 26 10:39:15 CST 2004

I am just beginning a project that will not be finished for 6 months or
so and I use REALBasic 5.5. The project must work with the REAL API and
Valentina. I would like it to have a single user version that uses
Valentina on the local drive and also work with a server version of
Valentina if desired. Having just started working with Valentina I have
a few questions.

1) It seems there are 2 plugins (V4RB and V4RB-Client) - will the
compiled version need to be single user or server user or can I compile
with the "Client" version and use a local file for the single user
version. I wasn't able to do that during testing so I thought I might
ask if it is possible.

2) Because I am using other databases as well I basically get a vCursor
and then put it in a listbox or array or fill the properties of a class
with it. Do I need to build all those vBaseObject classes or is there a
simpler method for building the tables, and if so is there an optimal
way of using them to speed things up like using the vBaseobject methods
to get a single record by recID. It seems like I remember reading that
this should be replaced with the vCursor methods to allow locking of
records to be effective.

3) If I do this work in 1.10 will I need to change it a lot to go to
version 2.0. I know I could wait until 2.0 is out and use the REAL API
but it seems like it is taking a while so if it wasn't going to be real
hard I thought I would work on it in 1.10. Will the same code work for
2.0?

I am sure I will have others as I go along but I would appreciate any
help from people who are trying something similiar.
Thanks,

Jim