VNET

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Feb 26 09:34:39 CST 2004

on 2/26/04 8:53 AM, F. Kneubühl at f.kneubuehl at bluewin.ch wrote:

Hi Fabian,

> Good morning Ruslan
>
> Sorry but I found a typo in the .net class VField. I think the property
> f.Langauge should be renamed to f.Language...

Really.

Must be corrected.

Although in 2.0 this property probably will be renamed to encoding.
Valentina 2.0 use IBM ICU library to support 170 encodings in the world and
unicode

> Wish:
> A property Field.SetIndexNoCase(True/False).

:-)

We already have this on TODO for 2.0

Yes this will be more simple

> As you stated in your manual a
> case insensitive SELECT is possible if one creates a method field.

> But I
> think it would be much simpler to set a property instead of creating 2 db
> columns

YES, you are right!

> one for the display and one for searching. Or an other possibility:
> if SELECT ID, String FROM T1 WHERE upper(String)="TEST" would work, the
> mentioned property is obsolete.

This also will work in 2.0

But I not agree that this is the same.
In the last case Valentina will not have special CASE-INSENSETIVE index!
So it will do NOT INDEXED search, you see?

Also BaseObject methods have own advantage. Virtually they give you way to
have even 2 indexes on the same field. And in WHERE you will be able choose
ANY of these indexes manually. No need to hope on SQL optimizer.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com