[FEATURE] RBDB API: length of VarChar fields ?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Feb 22 23:10:03 CST 2004

on 2/22/04 10:48 PM, Joseph J. Strout at joe at realsoftware.com wrote:

> At 10:35 PM +0200 2/22/04, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:
>
>> 2) IF REALDB ignore this parameter, NO PROBLEMS.
>> But why REALbasic do not allow specify this parameter for OTHER DBs
>> In the GUI when we create tables?
>
> The answer to almost any such "why?" question is: "Because that's the
> way the code was written eons ago, and there hasn't been any pressing
> need to change it."

Well, this explain it.  :-)

But taking into account that during last 1-2 years REAL
It seems pay big attention to improve database area,
I expected to see something more impressive.

You know that I already 4 years delay support of RB DB API in Valentina.
Main reason -- MANY LIMITS in it.

And 2004 year. Still not here :-(

If you need ideas, I can give you a lots! :-)

>> I think this is wrong and should be fixed. [FEATURE REQUEST? :-]
>
> Yes, when you think that, the correct thing to do is to file a feature
> request.

I new you will say this.  :-)
And in the best case another 6-8 months to wait.

Also, I much more prefer if an REAL employer will watch for lists for such
NEW FEATURE in the letters, and SELF ENTER them into database. Or for
example, if you will have own REAL's email where you will in one click
forward interesting ideas for future consideration.

Please understand, I am not lazy. Just

1) I NEVER remember URL for REAL bug db. Is it on home page?
2) it is much easier for me, to describe this in letter,
then in small WEB interface...

-------
BTW, another idea.

May be REALbasic can in fact just drop this GUI tools
to create Tables, Fields, ... ?

What sense?

1) Other DBS usually have own tools.

2) if I deploy EXE app made with RB, I will want create new fresh db on HDD
of client. It is not very good idea, force developers distribute empty db in
archive of apps. Application must be able self, programmatically create new
db when this is needed.

3) Aha, sense there is for REALbasic database itself...okay.
They you really should improve your dialogs for Tables creation.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com