[FEATURE] RBDB API: length of VarChar fields ?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Feb 22 22:35:54 CST 2004

Hi guys,

it looks that REALbasic totally ignore length of
    string and VarChar fields.

Why ???

As I see in own SQL REALbasic ignore this.

And in GUI that create fields, there is ONLY (???)
    field name and field type fields.

In the Options we can see NotNULL and Primary.

Hmm.

1) first of all this is not correct by SQL standard.

        <character string type> ::=

String types can have ( LENGTH ).

2) IF REALDB ignore this parameter, NO PROBLEMS.
But why REALbasic do not allow specify this parameter for OTHER DBs
In the GUI when we create tables?

I think this is wrong and should be fixed. [FEATURE REQUEST? :-]

3) I wonder how people work with 4D, mySQL, Postgre using
RB's GUI if they cannot specify length of string fields?

----------------------
4) also I think that REALbasic is VERY not flexible in its
Dialogs that create fields for tables.

REAL, other dbs can have A LOTS of properties for fields.
For example, Valentina have for

    string
            Length, Locale, Case-Insensetive, ..
    BLOB
            segment size, compression
    ObjectPtr
            Target, OnDeletion

For example, Valentina have much more Options/Flags
Than your dialog is able to show

    Not Null
    Primary Key
    --------------- and
    Unique
    Indexed

I know that e.g. MySLQ also is reach on different parameters.
So why on earth REALbasic just ignore all this.

* IN IDEAL, in DREAM,
*
* IF you allow specify additional db engines,
* Then you must allow to DB plugins describe and register
*
*    a) additional field properties
*    b) additional field flags.
*

And your Create Field dialog must change on the fly its controls.
For example, if I have specify that Valentina or mySQL support

        property [Length] for String/VarChar fields

Then when I choose this type in menu,
REALbasic should show Edit field 'Length' where developer can enter length.

When I open Option Dialog for Valentina's field,
I want to see here more check boxes:

        Not Unique
        Primary Key
        Unique

If and when you will add all this, then yes, I will say
    WOW, REALbasic is cool!  :-)

Right now I see a lots of limits for Valentina to fit onto REAL DB API and
controls. I try now to see full picture. And for now I am still not glad
from what I see in RB DB API.  :-(

Norman, Aaron, and other Valentina developers that have ask
for RB DB API support. Can you explain me how I can deal for example with
Length parameter for strings? May be I have miss something?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com