[Wonder] Data Control, Table name property

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Feb 22 20:13:05 CST 2004

Hi All,

I have play a little with RB Data Control
And I have few Questions.

why in Property window for Data Control
    we see "Table Name" property.

As Far as I see, choice of a Table in this menu affects
ONLY and ONLY at design time menu of controls as EditField, where now I will
see fields of that Table.

    3 Times Hmm...

As for me, this is not very correct way, BECAUSE:

* Let we have tables Doctors and Patients.
* Okay, I select in 3 EditFields -- the fields of this table f1, f2, f3
* so far so good.

BUT

* now I must enter SQL query into Data Control.
  and ops, developer can enter here

        select * from Patients      // wrong table, ops
   or
        select f4, f5 from Doctors  // ops, wrong fields.

   or
        select f1, f6
        from Doctors, Patients
        WHERE doctors.id = patients.doctor_id
                                // ops, JOIN.

1) So am I right, that in RB 5.2 and in RB 5.5
We have only HOPE and BELIEVE in the DEVELOPER ?

2) so am I right that DataControl tool, at least now
    is oriented ONLY and ONLY on single table query,
    and cannot handle JOIN ?

I think that:
In IDEAL, this DataControl must allow us joins,
And it must NOT depend on Table menu,
And we must see only SELECTed fields of query for EditFields,
But not just all names of a Table.

What you think, REAL?

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com