VXCMD_Client_Classic_MC

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Feb 18 01:17:24 CST 2004

>  > No, it is not possible (I mean possible it is but it won't work). A
>>  given version of MC/Rev accepts only one type of resource. You can
>>  have different versions of the same type (with different ids). Since
>>  we call them by name from scripts, they must also have different
>>  names ('valentina' and 'valentina_server' for example).
>
>Exactly. This is why I have two separate MetaCard stacks that act as by
>database connectors - one for Valentina standalone and one for Valentina
>Client. They both have exactly the same code, but I can't put them in
>the same stack as the Valentina external is called the same way as
>"Valentina". So I have one that connects to the standalone VXCMD and the
>other connects to the client VXCMD.
>
>It would be great to have the two called by different names so it could
>be merged into a single accessor stack...
>
>Ken Ray
>Sons of Thunder Software
>Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
>Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/

Ken, as far as I know, the names of resources are not wired to
anything (except how they are called from Transcript), so you can
rename them yourself. The only thing to figure out is how to call the
right one at the right time. Of top of my head, this can be done by
either duplicating the handlers for each mode or using a passthru
function that knows whether you are in server or local mode and calls
one or the other name.

Robert