I was just talking to the boys upstairs and He says...

Keith DeLong delong at redcort.com
Mon Aug 9 15:26:07 CDT 2004

This is off -topic to the original post (which I think referenced the extra
v2 files not the user definable db file format).

However the point being debated is worth discussing. Having distributed a
'shrink wrap' commercial V4RB app for almost 4 years with thousands of
users, I can testify to Jon's concerns. Especially since the index file
takes the same name as the data file. This can and - often is - really
confusing for average users. I've had them delete the db file, only back up
the .ind file, rename files ... the list goes on and on and so have the
support costs.

The solution to Gunnar's valid concerns about indexes is (as Jon pointed
out) to use a single data file and rely on the built in Valentina Reindex
command. In fact, since we've had so many index corruption issues, and since
our data files are under 10MB, in our newest release it automatically
rebuilds indexes every time the application is launched. Many users will
simply quit and restart a misbehaving application, thereby eliminating
another batch of support calls all together.

My 2 cents,
Keith DeLong