server/user/connection pricing

Denis Bélisle denis at gunt.com
Thu Oct 30 09:02:43 CST 2003

Hi Ruslan,

The latest discussion on Valentina server license schemes has lost me,
so I will ask the question concerning my own situation - mainly because
I have to prepare a quote for this project. It is for a project which
requires that a java application shares simultaneously and in real time
the same database as a Director application, but with only one user.
Every user would have his or her own server and his or her own
database. (We had an exchange on the subject last week). Everything is
stand alone and to be installed from a CD, no LAN or web based stuff.
The "server" part only serves as a rendez-vous point for both
applications. Like if the current Valentina could be simultaneous
accessed in read-write by both java and Director: but that's it - no
connection from outside, only one user per "server installed". For
every user, everything is on the same computer: java app, Director app,
and server. So how does the licensing works here? Does the "connection"
scheme applies? Every CD represents a "connection"? Every install of
the project? Two connections (one for Director and one for Java)? Or
maybe the 5 connections that comes with the server are for every
*different* database, and therefore I do not have to worry about it?

Thanks in advance,

Denis