Valentina Pricing - Additional Clarification?

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Wed Oct 29 20:00:49 CST 2003

Hi Ken,

> > Sorry, I must have missed the first post and assume this is
> > all in regard to VDN subscriptions.
>
> This was actually a private email between Ruslan and I and it
> somehow made it to the list, so there was nothing to miss. :-)
>
> Actually, VDN subscriptions were only a part of my email, but
> most of it was centering around how unclear the licensing
> seemed to be and seeking to get clarification.

VDN materials arent quite soup yet. If you have some specific questions
you should send them directly to me. My company handles the licensing
for Paradigma.

> > Yes, it does. This allows you to make a 20% margin as a
> > reseller on the server side on what is essentially going to
> > be a product anyone can buy, just like buying FileMaker Server.
>
> Only if you don't want to embed Valentina Server *into* your
> product... the Office Server discount is irrelevant to a
> product developer that wishes to develop and deliver a
> product where the server software is not branded "Valentina"
> and where there is a single custom installer that installs
> both the Valentina Server software (custom configured) and
> the application that is being sold.

The Embedded Server (what's at the core of VDN) isnt really branded
except for the logo requirements. Feedback on the Valentina 1.x
licensing has made us come up with a more flexible solution in that
regard for Valentina 2. Basically, Embeded Server is only a component
that has its own little directory.

> For those people that are willing to sell their application
> with a separate installer that installs Valentina Server, and
> with nothing but a set of instructions to help them configure
> Valentina Server for use with their application (since you
> can't customize the installation process), Office Server is a
> good deal.

Right.

> My ignorance was centering around the fact that I
> misunderstood that the number of connections could be bought
> "in bulk" and then "spent" on the customers who buy my
> product. So I can buy 1000 connections and then give 100 to
> one customer, 25 to another, etc.

Exactly, for Embedded Server only.  Basically, it works like a Pez
dispenser that you can fill up with any number of codes. The discount on
the codes is dependent on how many you purchase at once. When you are
ready to ship out products, you use the application (yet unnamed, lets
call it Pez) to generate X number of codes which you can ship out with
your product.

Keep in mind that the base Embedded Server is serialized for five
connections at no additional cost. If you are selling to small to medium
sized businesses, its likely that is all you will need, unless your
server app is going to take a lot of pounding all at once by everyone in
the company.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President