Valentina Pricing - Additional Clarification?

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Oct 29 21:29:39 CST 2003

Lynn,

> Sorry, I must have missed the first post and assume this is
> all in regard to VDN subscriptions.

This was actually a private email between Ruslan and I and it somehow
made it to the list, so there was nothing to miss. :-)

Actually, VDN subscriptions were only a part of my email, but most of it
was centering around how unclear the licensing seemed to be and seeking
to get clarification.

> > Again, there is no sense on 20% discount on connections!
> > Connections get lower price when you buy MORE connections in batch.
>
> There is a discount table for connections based on volume.
> The 20% discount is only for Office Server products. This
> allows you to migrate your customers to a single server
> configuration and still pull in reseller's margin.
>
> > > 2) If I want to sell SuperApp to a client that has 100 users and I
> > > want to deploy it with Office Server (understanding that
> I have no
> > > customized install, app names, etc. and that the sale is
> > not tagged to
> > > my product), it will cost me $800 ($1000 with a 20%
> > discount as a VDN
> > > member) for 250 connections.
> > >
> > > Does this sound right to you?
>
> Yes, it does. This allows you to make a 20% margin as a
> reseller on the server side on what is essentially going to
> be a product anyone can buy, just like buying FileMaker Server.

Only if you don't want to embed Valentina Server *into* your product...
the Office Server discount is irrelevant to a product developer that
wishes to develop and deliver a product where the server software is not
branded "Valentina" and where there is a single custom installer that
installs both the Valentina Server software (custom configured) and the
application that is being sold.

For those people that are willing to sell their application with a
separate installer that installs Valentina Server, and with nothing but
a set of instructions to help them configure Valentina Server for use
with their application (since you can't customize the installation
process), Office Server is a good deal.

My ignorance was centering around the fact that I misunderstood that the
number of connections could be bought "in bulk" and then "spent" on the
customers who buy my product. So I can buy 1000 connections and then
give 100 to one customer, 25 to another, etc.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/