Embedded Server and your app // ALL please read.

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Oct 22 15:14:44 CDT 2003

Hi Florian,

> Hi Ruslan, I have been away

> But I have some questions for the license files anyway.
>
> I have a customer with 5 outlets where he will use 5 different systems and
> database servers.
>
> Now could'nt he just copy the license file from outlet a to outlet b and
> double his licenses in b then? And so on? Therefore I would prefer ONE
> license file allowed per server only.

Okay, let's think about issue all together.
I have CC this to Valentina list.

So I invite everybody discuss this.
Few weeks ago we already have such discussion.
I ask all take part and think about this.
At last of end we all make Business using Valentina technology.
Paradigma is INTERESTED in YOUR success, because this is OUR success also.

> But is there a way to add a connection then afterwards? Or would I have to
> make a new license file. And then, could I join the "old" licenses back in
> my pool?

Right now we have the following schema of protection of Valentina Server.

1) Valentina server office is sold mainly by Paradigma directly to some
customer. We generate unique license file for that user with use of its name
in particular.

---------------------------
2) Embedded Valentina Server.

Valentina Developers that want develop APP/SOLUTION to be distributed
In MANY copies will prefer become Valentina Developer Network members.
This membership have many benefits and the main -- HUGE discount on Embedded
Valentina server.

* A VDN developer considered to be OUR PARTNER.

* VDN developer will need follow few instructions to be able make own
installer of Vserver.

    Actually we already have implement ability tune Vserver so for YOUR
customers it will be hidden that this is Vserver. You will be able give to
folders, exe files own name. For example BoomerGameServer.
In the log file user also will see BoomerGameServer.
    So this will be REALLY "Embedded Server" :-)

    Also you will need choose other port for YOUR application.

------------------------------
Now about protection of Embedded Server.

* Paradigma do not want that your user by for e.g. $30 Vserver embedded into
your app and start to use it as Valentina Office Server.
To prevent this you will get from us
A) license_emb_xxxxxx file with special signature
B) this signature which you will need send as additional parameter on
connect from CLEINT of your app.

    As result Embedded Server will take ONLY connections
    from clients of your apps.

* license_emb_xxxxxx - already have 5 connections.

----
Now let some your user want additional N connections, e.g. 15.

VDN developer purchase from us some set of connections, e.g. 1000. Again
with big discount. We send you license_batch_xxxxxxx file and you download
special application.

Using this application you will be able SELF generate normal license files
For YOUR users. You will enter
    user name,
    connections count,
    user's platform
press button generate and you get e.g. license_mac_xxxxx file.
Now your batch file will have 1000 - 15 = 985 connection.

User need drop this file into license folder and Vserver will summaries it.

* There is no way return back this 15 connections into batch file.

* We have add protection that MAC license file will NOT work on WINDOWS.
* But note, that license_emb_ file is cross-platform because there is no
sense prevent this.
* ONLY one _emb_file can be recognized under server.

-----
Okay, this was description of what we have right now.
Now, at last of end, back to your question.

* As you see right now THERE IS NO protection of license file from move to
OTHER computer.
    So yes, Florian, in principle your customer CAN move from one Vserver to
other to increase the number of connections there...

    To prevent this, it needs that EACH his Vserver have
    UNIQUE license_emb_xxx file.

Florian, I afraid this is VERY RARE issue.
Usually if VDN developer sale 1000 copies of e.g. BoomerGameServer than all
1000 customers will be different guys. And such problem will not raise...

Well, of course we can expect that some bad guy put into Internet his
license file on 100 connections and other will use it...

-----------
Oh! actually there is way store into EACH license_emb_xxx file name of your
USER. Then we get unique emb file. And then you need in Generator also
specify THE SAME user name (isn't this annoying for Developer?) for
additional license connection.

Well, I am ready to hear your ideas and comments on all this.

P.S. One Valentina developer also have ask us implement ability to add
connections by special SERIAL NUMBERS instead of license files, because he
say not each customer have ability get license file by email. Somebody can
want get them by fax on paper. SERIAL NUMBER can be sent on paper.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com