[V4MD] picture pixel bug

Martin Kloss martin.kloss at gmx.de
Wed Nov 19 22:36:59 CST 2003

At 22:02 19.11.03, you wrote:
>Interesting. I currently have a new project with far more images than others
>I've had in the past, and I'm debating whether to put them into Valentina or
>keep them in casts (casts is what I've done in the past). If you're
>willing, it
>might help me to hear what your experience has been. My images are all
>16-bit so
>the pixel bug won't be an issue.

Hi Scott,

most of the time it's an issue with the client not wanting the user to
have direct access to the pictures from the CD / DVD-Rom, so that's
why they will be stored in an encrypted db.

But also for performance reasons I would not store 10K pictures
in Director cast files, because that would slow down loading of the
Director app and overall performance. The only alternative is to
store the pictures in external folders and link them at runtime via
the member().filename property. That way it doesn't matter if
you have 1k or 500k pics.

Storing pictures in Valentina is very nice since the JPEG compression
is not lost and it doesn't slow down Valentina at all. Getting / setting
pictures is very fast and since you're using cursors to point at
the record data it doesn't affect the speed when browsing records at all.

Martin.