[V4RB] design of future pluign

Charles Yeomans yeomans at desuetude.com
Wed May 21 14:18:17 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 01:54 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> on 5/21/03 6:24 PM, Charles Yeomans at yeomans at desuetude.com wrote:
>
>>> Today I have wake up, and get one more idea.
>>> May be we ca solve this, but payment -- V4RB will be not single
>>> plugin
>>> as
>>> know, but set
>>>
>>>         V4RB + VEngine.dll + Vclient.dll
>>>
>>> Having this, I think I will be able
>>> 1) have the same set of classes as now
>>> 2) work as embedded engine or client
>>> 3) catch errors in case e.g. Client is absent but you ask create
>>> client
>>> database.
>>> 4) work in combination with 2 DLLs.
>>>
>>> Are you ready pay for such feature having additional DLLs for your
>>> app
>>> also?
>>
>> Perhaps, depending on the price.
>
> :-) Charles, I did mean not money!

I assumed that it must be money you meant, because I know that no
Macintosh true believer would ever suggest the use of DLLs.

> I mean fact, that we will have now DLLs ?
> So your app will looks as
>
>         app + Engine.dll
>         app + Engine.dll + Client.dll
>

>>> I know that PrimeBase do this. Although they do it as ONLY ONE of
>>> them.
>>> Primebase plugin for REALbasic, allow you COMPILE one EXE file of
>>> your app,
>>> And on the fly you or your customer, can put any of this DLLs and
>>> fix some
>>> ini file to choose if this app should work as standalone or remote
>>> client.
>>>
>>> We can do this even better I think.
>>
>> I think that we can do it better by not using DLLs.  What I want is
>> the
>> ability to use both local and remote databases in the same
>> application.
>> Otherwise I don't see an easy way to write applications that have
>> intermittent database connections.
>
> Charles, but I do not see other good way
>
> If you see it tell me.

I thought that I did -- a collection of class interfaces plus two
plugins -- V4RB  and V4RB Client.  V4RB returns a VDatabaseLocal, while
V4Rb Client returns a VDatabaseNetwork; both classes implement
VDatabase.

Charles Yeomans