parallel lineal numerical string comparison algorithm

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Sun May 18 13:00:06 CDT 2003

Hi Ruslan, Andy,

> Yes, if to speak about idea of Andy, then yes, such algorithm can be
> useful.
>
> Mark, I do not understand although one thing.
> So your table has only one field, yes?
> I assume TEXT field.

Correct

> So you store in table for example 100,000 records.
> Each record is one XML block that contains several attributes.
> Correct?

Correct. It also can include element type XML information as well. What
ever it represents it is a single object regarding a sale,
transaction, or indexed information of value. I break up pages of an
e-Book as single objects. Inside these pages can be hyperlinks, media
play elements. In other words hidden valuation that is not show by the
user interface, yet is part of the data.

> Now you on some rule extract one of record, and use your PNLP
> algorithm to
> extract attributes from this ONE RECORD.

Correct.

In Director I created a parent script that uses getAttribute and
getElement so that I am working with text only expressions, stored in
variables, in the user interface. Here is the main reason for doing
this, I can use empty space in my interface expressions. The user would
use human readable expressions to get similar attribute and element
based data. (MTML experiments)

Example Tag set:

<best fishing spot>on the north side of Wrights Lake, thirty feet out,
</best fishing spot>

> But Mark, I believe it will be MUCH MORE effective if you parse XML
> block on
> attributes BEFORE put it into database, and then store only VALUES of
> this
> attributes into Table with N fields. This is more effective because now
> 1) db do not keep a lots of redundant names of attributes in each
> record.
> 2) now you can use indexes of Valentina
> 3) numeric values stored as numbers but not as text.

If the information were a combination of common text interlaced with
MTML/XML elements then keeping it in a database, broken out, would not
work. I don't see the need to go outside SQL except to create an easy
to use query language, as you suggest. My solution address the human
readable component of an easy to use query language.  If you could
answer what you want it for or more about the user or the goal then
maybe I could see what you want a non SQL solution for? I believe you
want to populate the database using simple expressions. How about a
numerical based expression based of two point locations?

Examples:

getRecord(120, 2 )

getRecord( 120, 3 )

putRecord( 121,1 ) ... putRecord( 121,2 )

Kind of like Lingo list expressions?

&

> Hi Ruslan,
>
> i think you are right. Having all those XML-Tags in the database
> increases
> size of the db and makes indexes much harder to create/update.
>
> Oracle 9i can use XML-Fields in the way you described. Tags are
> separated
> from text and so you can manipulate the field's values separately.
>

> -- Andy Fuchs

That's cool. It sounds like it would be great for XML manipulation and
transformation purposes. Sounds like an XML database?

Mark Brownell
Gizmotron Graphics