parallel lineal numerical string comparison algorithm

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon May 19 00:15:35 CDT 2003

on 5/18/03 11:00 PM, Mark Brownell at gizmotron at earthlink.net wrote:

>> But Mark, I believe it will be MUCH MORE effective if you parse XML block on
>> attributes BEFORE put it into database, and then store only VALUES of this
>> attributes into Table with N fields. This is more effective because now
>> 1) db do not keep a lots of redundant names of attributes in each
>> record.
>> 2) now you can use indexes of Valentina
>> 3) numeric values stored as numbers but not as text.
>
> If the information were a combination of common text interlaced with
> MTML/XML elements then keeping it in a database, broken out, would not
> work. I don't see the need to go outside SQL except to create an easy
> to use query language, as you suggest. My solution address the human
> readable component of an easy to use query language.  If you could
> answer what you want it for or more about the user or the goal then
> maybe I could see what you want a non SQL solution for? I believe you
> want to populate the database using simple expressions. How about a
> numerical based expression based of two point locations?
>
> Examples:
>
> getRecord(120, 2 )
> getRecord( 120, 3 )
> putRecord( 121,1 ) ... putRecord( 121,2 )
> Kind of like Lingo list expressions?

Marc, I am sorry, but I still do not understand you idea.

So let you have Table with one TEXT field, and you store here XML record of
a SALES. Let table have million of records.

How you see now search:
    find all sales with total < $100  ?

In your way, you MSUT iterate million records, parse them to extract
attribute TOTAL and read its value.

So where is advantage ???

>> Hi Ruslan,
>>
>> i think you are right. Having all those XML-Tags in the database increases
>> size of the db and makes indexes much harder to create/update.
>>
>> Oracle 9i can use XML-Fields in the way you described. Tags are separated
>> from text and so you can manipulate the field's values separately.
>>

>> -- Andy Fuchs
>
> That's cool. It sounds like it would be great for XML manipulation and
> transformation purposes. Sounds like an XML database?

Yes, Marc. Many DBMS now can parse XML input, extract pairs
        Attribute - Value

And store this as normal RECORDS in db.
And back, they can produce XML records, for example SALES.

Exists also true native XML Databases.
This is fashion way today, such products costs incredible money.
And I am skeptical to them.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com