More crash info.

Zav - Alex Zavatone zavpublic at mac.com
Sun May 4 17:24:12 CDT 2003

>You'll have to swallow this pill to continue with Valentina.
>Zav. I am preparing a movie that will demonstrate abstration of
>Valentina to overcome this.
>If you make a mistake between the steps I previously sent, you will crash.
>Valentina is not the only database to crash on a failure to open correctly.
>There are LOTS.
>

>>>    OpenDataBase(myDB, myDBPath,1) -- CREATE DATABASE FROM SCRATCH
>>
>>The above line instantly crashes Director if Valentina has
>>(mistakenly or on purpose) not been inited.
>>

>>Valentina should exit GRACEFULLY from such a condition.
>
>Agreed. But again, the key is to watch for the situation that might
>be an issue.
>Never call Valentina without an init.
>Using parent scripts ... and abstracting ... solves the problem.

The deal is that if you correctly shut down the database AS
RECOMMENDED, and you mistakenly enter a valentina command from the
message window, Director will die.

This is not good.  There should be a trap for this.  4 weeks man.  4
freakin weekends spent trying to get a BASIC database running.  If I
didn't have to deal with thousands of records (8 meg excel file), I
would have written my own with property lists and lingo and my own
populate/select API.

Maybe that's not a bad idea.  I really don't want to have to do that.

--
- Zav
Lost in the translation.