[V4RB] Valentina Logo and Copyright info

Richard Altenburg valentina at brainchild.nl
Fri Mar 28 18:37:30 CST 2003

On 28-03-2003 18:04, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

>>> we are not allowed to resell Valentina if we have no use for it
>>>  anymore -- see item 7 of limitations
>>
>> Fair enough, this is common practice in software, and I can see why this
>> should be in the agreement.
>>
> What? A common practice? Being able to resell is a norm. See for
> example CodeWarrior license. It has a list of stipulations that must
> be met but these are obvious. No problem reselling, though.

Besides software development I am using music production software for lots
of years, and none of the programs I use for composing, recording, sound
editing and mixing enable me to resell them when I quit my hobby.

Lots of titles I buy for my employer also carry a non-transferable license,
so to me it is no news (whether I like it is another question...).

>>> a client that gets a custom application (as opposed to a program
>>>  distributed to many) is required to purchase his/her own Valentina
>>>  license -- see item 7 under limitations
>>
>> This is also true for others, like 4th Diemension that I used for years. It
>> is not nice, but not that strange in this world too.
>>
> But what does the client do with that license exept paying money? It
> is one thing when they get the source code and continue development
> and different when they get a one-man-shareware app, a close box.

True, they do nothing but using the engine that your application floats on.
But who is Paradigma to know that you have this shareware app that only one
customer buys? I see no difference with 1,000 customers (yes, my bank
account does see it ;-). So I guess the only situation in which the ne
customer needs to buy the license is when you write a custom app and deliver
it with source code and all. At least, that would be my interpretation.

>>> we are not allowed to distribute programs developed in environments
>>>  which do not produce compiled applications -- see item 1 in
>>>  Commercial License
>>
>> Can see why, you wouldn't want your serial numbers and stuff open into the
>> big bad world. Seems fair to me.
>
> Again, you are misinterpreting this. This is not about having serial
> numbers in public. I can protect the serial numbers but my programs
> still don't meet the "compiled" criterion.

OK, if you can protect the Valentina-part, then they should not complain
about the form you deliver your creation in. This restriction is too
restricting...

> A good license agreement is surely to help the developers. Some of
> the items I listed, make be legally unable to sell my products. My
> selling my stuff is the best way for Valentina to prosper (talking
> generically of course :)

That is very generically speaking, but true because you selling your
products will make you a happy Valentina customer, who will pay for upgrades
and keep the money flowing to Paradigma, which is a healthy thing.

Being restricted this much that you can only sell your software illegaly is
pretty weird, and the Valentina-crew will have to think hard why they
created this situation, and who is to benefit from their agreement? I hope
they will be wise and agree with us that we need each other for having
long-term profits and a healthy relationship.

Let's leave it to them, people intelligent enough for creating this engine
should have no troubles finding the proper way for all of us...