[V4RB] Valentina Logo and Copyright info

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Mar 28 18:04:14 CST 2003

>  > we are not allowed to resell Valentina if we have no use for it
>>  anymore -- see item 7 of limitations
>
>Fair enough, this is common practice in software, and I can see why this
>should be in the agreement.

What? A common practice? Being able to resell is a norm. See for
example CodeWarrior license. It has a list of stipulations that must
be met but these are obvious. No problem reselling, though.

>  > a client that gets a custom application (as opposed to a program
>>  distributed to many) is required to purchase his/her own Valentina
>>  license -- see item 7 under limitations
>
>This is also true for others, like 4th Diemension that I used for years. It
>is not nice, but not that strange in this world too.

But what does the client do with that license exept paying money? It
is one thing when they get the source code and continue development
and different when they get a one-man-shareware app, a close box.

>  > we are not allowed to distribute programs developed in environments
>>  which do not produce compiled applications -- see item 1 in
>>  Commercial License
>
>Can see why, you wouldn't want your serial numbers and stuff open into the
>big bad world. Seems fair to me.

Again, you are misinterpreting this. This is not about having serial
numbers in public. I can protect the serial numbers but my programs
still don't meet the "compiled" criterion.

>There are always two sides of the coin: one side tells me that I want
>freedom and no hassle agreements. Valentina should not be so dominating in
>what they want us to do in our own creations, because it is our money spent,
>and our expensive time that is used.
>
>On the other hand, I do want these guys to earn some money too, because when
>I spend hundreds of hours building software on top of their database engine,
>I do not want them to be out of business within a year or so. Valentina
>needs us, but we sure need them too, and having this great support from
>Ruslan and others is worth some money.
>
>So we need each other, and that is what should be on Paradigma's mind when
>they rewrite the license agreement. It is not only you, but a team of you
>and the developers using your products. Help us, and we will help you.

A good license agreement is surely to help the developers. Some of
the items I listed, make be legally unable to sell my products. My
selling my stuff is the best way for Valentina to prosper (talking
generically of course :)

Robert