[V4RB] Valentina Logo and Copyright info

Richard Altenburg valentina at brainchild.nl
Fri Mar 28 17:35:42 CST 2003

On 28-03-2003 17:06, "Robert Brenstein" <rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de> wrote:

> we are required to purchase a separate copy of Valentina for each
> computer we use for development or testing -- see item 1 of grant of
> license in Software License

Development is OK for me, but writing software for three platforms means
testing on all three on three different computers in my case, and there is
no way I will ever buy three licenses for that purpose.

> we are not allowed to archive older versions of Valentina if we
> upgrade (including betas) -- see item 6 of limitations in Software
> License

That is a danger if we encounter serious bugs in the new version and need to
money.

> we are not allowed to use centralized backup systems -- see item 10
> of limitations

Funny, that would be the only safe option in my network, wouldn't it?

> we are not allowed to resell Valentina if we have no use for it
> anymore -- see item 7 of limitations

Fair enough, this is common practice in software, and I can see why this
should be in the agreement.

> a client that gets a custom application (as opposed to a program
> distributed to many) is required to purchase his/her own Valentina
> license -- see item 7 under limitations

This is also true for others, like 4th Diemension that I used for years. It
is not nice, but not that strange in this world too.

> we are not allowed to distribute programs developed in environments
> which do not produce compiled applications -- see item 1 in
> Commercial License

Can see why, you wouldn't want your serial numbers and stuff open into the
big bad world. Seems fair to me.

But:

I definitely should have read more before getting started (but will continue
to use it anyway, but hesitate more to tell others about it).

There are always two sides of the coin: one side tells me that I want
freedom and no hassle agreements. Valentina should not be so dominating in
what they want us to do in our own creations, because it is our money spent,
and our expensive time that is used.

On the other hand, I do want these guys to earn some money too, because when
I spend hundreds of hours building software on top of their database engine,
I do not want them to be out of business within a year or so. Valentina
needs us, but we sure need them too, and having this great support from
Ruslan and others is worth some money.

So we need each other, and that is what should be on Paradigma's mind when
they rewrite the license agreement. It is not only you, but a team of you
and the developers using your products. Help us, and we will help you.