[V4RB] Valentina Logo and Copyright info

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Fri Mar 28 08:58:10 CST 2003

>Ive read your comments and everyone elses responses to this point -- I
>don't think I can add much more to what others have said but to
>reiterate that you are licensing another company's technology. The
>reason why should be clear -- it's to know who is using Valentina,
>ensure that its being used in accordance with the license and also to
>propagate it.
>
>Best regards,
>

>Lynn Fredricks
>President
>Proactive International, LLC

Valentina is a technology behind, embedded in our program as an
extension to the development environment not the environment self. In
some programs Valentina is the essential component but in others its
function may be ancilliary and thus not warranting its strong
presence in the about box. In such and some other instances, the
presence of Valentina logo may be distraction for the "about" design
without contributing value. At least this is my reading of some of
the objections.

To say it in other words, we as Valentina developers recognize the
logo and know what it means; however, I doubt that this logo has any
meaning for many of end-users of our programs. They still need to
read the copyright info to learn what technologies were used. In that
context, I see the function of logo secondary, and as such optional.
Your license agreement should encourage using the logo but not
require it or at least allow us getting a permission from you to skip
it.

As you know, I have a number of other problems with your licensing
agreement. I hope these will be addressed in the revision as well.

It is okay to use licensing to promote your product and encorage more
sales, but overdoing it is counterproductive. Particularly that the
technology while quite impressive is still lacking features and
reliability. I had several quite serious embarassments due to
quirks/bugs of Valentina, so I am not inclined to make any promotions.

Robert Brenstein