Suggestions for Valentina

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Mar 13 09:46:07 CST 2003

on 3/13/03 7:18 AM, Dr. Scott Steinman at steinman at sco.edu wrote:

Hi Scott,

> I have a couple of suggestions for Valentina that would make it easier
> to use for developers (and possibly end users as well).
>
> Currently you have a dedicated picture data type, which handles BMP's
> on Windows and PICT's on the Mac, making it more difficult to develop
> cross-platform programs that use pictures. In addition, all other
> multimedia types, such as audio and video, require BLOB's. Such widely
> used objects should have their own data types.

Correct.

And Video + Audio fields are reserved for Valentina.
Just I did not do that because I think kernel also must be able do some work
with this. But may be no.

> My suggestions:
> 1. Allow the use of cross-platform picture formats such as JPEG and
> GIF, so that a single picture type can be used for both the Mac and
> WIndows.

This is ALREADY added into VCSDK!
Because we need the same in VPHP

Although Yuri say that something broken on windows side.
Today we are going check together what is wrong.

> 2. Dedicated audio data type for cross-platform audio formats (I'm not
> sure what these would be).
> 3. Dedicated video data type for cross-platform video formats, such as
> QuickTime.
> 4. This would leave BLOB's to be used for creating custom objects,
> which is their intended purpose.

CORRECT.

> While it is possible for programmers to use BLOB's for audio and video
> at present, it is not as straight-forward or fast to program as using
> the picture data type. I feel that adding audio and video data types
> would make it much easier for programmers to create the multimedia-rich
> database applications needed in many modern business, scientific and
> educational institutions.

Let's hope for 2.0 we will add this fields types at least as storages for
this media objects.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com