IR, inverted-index and lists-join

Tonio Virgilio LEVRA levra at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 13 12:39:47 CST 2003

Hi all,

I need to do a search engine for combined full-text
and keyword filtered query but I've a little
experience on db and no experience on search engine,
information retrieval, etc.

My source flat file has 65.000 records with one big
text field (up to 35000 chars) and at least 8 fields
of filtering/describing keywords(categories), more
other descriptive fields.
The biggest of this 5 keywords field can have till 10
different keywords each record and the possibile
values for this keywords could be max 800.

Looking for a solution I'm wondering to do in this
way:
1. Build an inverted index for the big text field
2. Build 5 different inverted index for the 5
categories field
3. Store the 6 inverted index in different table on
the db
4. store the flat file on the db in one table

and then

a. query for the 6 inverted index according to the
end-user category filtering and text search.

b. store the six resulting lists of records in a temp
table linked to the big one (see point 4).

c. query for duplicate of the temp (because I need to
match only the records part of all the six lists)and
extract as result the records of the big table  (see
point 4).

What do you think about, it makes sense?

Any hint or help is welcome.

Tonio