[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Jun 23 10:41:57 CDT 2003

>But fixed 1.9.7 already will be not 1.9.7,
>But something else 1.9.7 r1

Yes, of course, you need ato adjust your numbering scheme (cf. my
earlier email).

>Next, Robert,
>
>Betas can be of 2 types:
>1) bug fixed
>2) adding new features.
>
>If you have note during last year practically was NO any new features.
>This is because all new code we put on 2.0 branch.
>
>During last year all our releases (and betas) only fix minor bugs.
>This is why I say during last year that each new beta is more stable then
>prev release.

Ruslan, one of us (or both) have a warped perspective on this. Just
open your release notes and look at Version 1.9.7b1, the first beta
of 1.9.7 after 1.9.6 final came out: 9 "new/imp" and 10 "bug"
entries. What does this say about your debugging? And 1.9.6 was in
beta for half a year not 2-4 month you claim.

Yes, of course, not all of these apply to the kernel but this is a
secondary aspect. When you say new features, you seem to think of
adding major features to kernel. I think of anything labelled "new"
in your release notes. Some of these may be quite minor and affect
only a specific product but nevertheless are new.

>Also note, that some new features DO NOT break existed code. As developer I
>see this. For example, BETWEEN D ONOT have change any line of EXISTED
>algorithms. BETWEEN itself can be buggy, but it cannot break others.

Yes, normally, no, but they potentially can. So fixing old bugs can
introduce new onces. You know that. I think part of it is also
psychological: if you label something final, you must feel confident
that it is as bug free as possible. Once I start using betas, I need
to keep checking new betas whether they apply to me or not. New betas
may be more stable than earlier versions but a) require me to keep
upgrading, and b) they have a stigma of being unfinished.

Besides, forcing people to use betas is not good from marketting
point of view me thinks. This is of little relevance to the core user
group, like members of this list, but John Doe who is neither a true
programmer nor real database developer but using Revolution to make
his favorite receipe database may shy from using beta versions.

Robert