[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sun Jun 22 10:43:05 CDT 2003

on 6/22/03 2:22, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

>> Fixing bugs costs money. I can appreciate wanting to get bug fixes for
>> free, as the assumption is that you shouldn't have had that problem in
>> the first place. Im not convinced that it's a sound business practice to
>> do that because of the complications it introduces (unless it's an
>> incredibly easy fix to implement).
>
> Lynn, yes, it costs money, but what Ruslan, er, Paradigma Software,
> is doing now is not quite appropriate IMHO and not in accordance with
> industry "standard".
>
> Since both you and Ruslan somehow miss my point, let's look carefully
> at the current situation.
>
> Ruslan releases 1.9.7 and starts working on 1.9.8. A bug is found in
> 1.9.7 but he fixes it ONLY in whatever is the next beta of 1.9.8. The
> official release remains at 1.9.7 and the bug is there until 1.9.8
> becomes an official release. If I want the fix, I have to get that
> beta.
>
> Since beta releases can (and are) buggy (which is partly why there
> are so many of them), I should not be FORCED to join beta testing.
> Instead, a bug fix release for current official 1.9.7 should be
> issued.
>
> This is not too much to ask for, or is it? As far as I know, this is
> how most software vendors operate.

But fixed 1.9.7 already will be not 1.9.7,
But something else 1.9.7 r1

Next, Robert,

Betas can be of 2 types:
1) bug fixed
2) adding new features.

If you have note during last year practically was NO any new features.
This is because all new code we put on 2.0 branch.

During last year all our releases (and betas) only fix minor bugs.
This is why I say during last year that each new beta is more stable then
prev release.

And I give 2-4 months to people to work with e.g. 1.9.7 release to find as
many glitches as possible. Then we ship 1.9.8.

Also note, that some new features DO NOT break existed code. As developer I
see this. For example, BETWEEN D ONOT have change any line of EXISTED
algorithms. BETWEEN itself can be buggy, but it cannot break others.

After 1.9.8 RELEASE, I will need do big changes in Language area to add
support of Unicode. Then really, betas may introduce new bugs. And again,
this will not be a case starting from 2.0 because for 2.0 we grow great set
of tests which we run after each change of code.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com