[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sun Jun 22 01:39:09 CDT 2003

>Exactly as I have describe.
>Just we will not have for 2.0 so minor release 2.1 2.2 2.3
>We will get 2.5, 3.0 3.5, 4.0

I am afraid not exactly (see my previous post - reply for Lynn). The
version numbers I used were just examples. I don't care what you call
them. Of course, using the sort of standard "major.minor.bug"
notation may help keeping things clean.

>  > This is not so outrageous request. Go to FileMaker Pro -- updaters
>>  (bug fix releases) for all releases starting from version 4.0 are
>>  there. Go to CodeWarrior's site -- updaters for most of the versions
>>  not just last one are available.
>
>No Robert. You wrong here.

Sorry, I don't think I am wrong :)

>At first CodeWarrior releases 7.0, then during next 2-3 months they ship
>free update 7.2 and 7.3
>Then code Warrior 8.0 is shipped. And in the next few months bug fix
>updates: 8.2 and 8.3.

Yes, but they ship 7.2 and 7.3 while working on 8. You force us to
use betas of 8 and don't bother with bug releases for shipping
versions (yes, I know that in your mind those betas are bug fixes but
technically and legally they are not).

>But you still see on site all this 4 updates.
>And they DO NOT change in any way 7.3. It is freezed forever.

Yes, exactly.

>So what you point is in fact the OLD VERSION ARCHIVES on the site.
>For us this is more hard to do, because we have about 20-30 different
>download archives for EACH version....they have only 4.

You do not have to archive every single beta you issue. That's
nonsense. Beta's are just beta's and they vanish the moment the
release goes public.

If you start releasing bug fixes for your officially shipping
versions, then you will have only one downloadable for each shipping
version of each product (since you do not release updaters but full
releases). You do not have that many public releases that this should
become a problem any time soon.

If you think about ocassional requests to keep previous beta for
downloading (for situations where current beta was not usable for
some reason), this is a different issue.

Robert