[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 20 13:55:33 CDT 2003

on 6/20/03 11:52, Robert Brenstein at rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de wrote:

> With introduction of the ver 2 family, it may be time to change the
> policy and start providing bug fixes for the last official release
> *independently* from the development of the new release. It means
> that if I am using version 2.1 and you are now at 2.2b4 and a bug
> affecting 2.1 is found, you release a bug fix for 2.1 besides fixing
> it for 2.2b5. This way, if I want to participate in beta testing, I
> can get the new beta, but if I don't or my license expired, I simply
> get the bug fix.

Exactly as I have describe.
Just we will not have for 2.0 so minor release 2.1 2.2 2.3
We will get 2.5, 3.0 3.5, 4.0

>> Robert, you ask about 1.x?
>> Or about future?
>
> Future mostly, although introducing this for 1.x products could be
> considered even for the next public release. It will probably be
> necessary once 2 is out. You may wish that all of us switch to
> version 2 right away, but in reality we have our development cycles
> just as you do and many people won't upgrade immediately.

Agree.

> This is not so outrageous request. Go to FileMaker Pro -- updaters
> (bug fix releases) for all releases starting from version 4.0 are
> there. Go to CodeWarrior's site -- updaters for most of the versions
> not just last one are available.

No Robert. You wrong here.

At first CodeWarrior releases 7.0, then during next 2-3 months they ship
free update 7.2 and 7.3
Then code Warrior 8.0 is shipped. And in the next few months bug fix
updates: 8.2 and 8.3.

But you still see on site all this 4 updates.
And they DO NOT change in any way 7.3. It is freezed forever.

So what you point is in fact the OLD VERSION ARCHIVES on the site.
For us this is more hard to do, because we have about 20-30 different
download archives for EACH version....they have only 4.

>> YES.
>
> yes, remains or yes, it changes?

Yes remains.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com