[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Charles Yeomans yeomans at desuetude.com
Thu Jun 19 17:56:57 CDT 2003

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 03:53 PM, Lynn Fredricks wrote:

>>> Could you give us an idea (or range) on what it will cost
>> to buy vSerever
>>> for development and how much to distribute 50,500, 1000
>> applications per
>>> year with an embedded vServer?
>>
>> I think Lynn will not wish to discover prices yet in the
>> public way. Lynn?
>
> I would like to get some general feedback before I taint the list with
> my ideas ;-)
>

>> By the way, Keith, I wonder why you underline per - year ???
>> We do NOT have dependency on year! Correct?
>
> I think he means because we do have a subscription model in mind.
> What's
> on the table is that there would be a subscription oriented service
> called VDN.
>
> You can continue to buy the next versions of the single user SDKs
> outside of this plan. However this plan would include several tiers
> that
> include either one "Pro" version of an SDK (such as V4RB for Mac, V4RB
> for Windows), C++ SDK, or all of the SDKs, plus the ability to
> distribute royalty free 5 connection server apps. The subscription
> style
> would limit the time you could distribute new server applications to
> having a paid up subscription. But you'd also get free upgrades to the
> covered products during that time.

As I see it, the point of a subscription model is to decouple the
revenue stream from the development cycle.  And I can see that such a
plan has some advantages for us as well as Paradigma.  But a
time-limited subscription model asks us to assume all of the risk.  In
short, I wouldn't purchase a license that time-limited my ability to
sell software.

>> Totte, when you will get free time?
>> I think it will be very interesting for Keith to hear your
>> opinion about our price scheme. Totte was happy with our
>> first model, I think when he will see our latest model he
>> will become very excited.  :-)
>>
>> Again, if Lynn will say no prices yet on public then we will
>> discuss them privately. On public only we discuss idea of
>> licensing way.
>
> I agree. Pricing is the last step on which to make a decision for us. I
> think many folks who know me from the REALbasic list know I have some
> specific ideas about sales and distribution, however we are already
> planning on several EULA and licensing changes based on user feedback.
> That also being said, Valentina isnt a REALbasic product, and overall
> planning has to take into account that we have a very significant
> number
> of Director and Revolution developers, and a growing group of VB and
> Delphi developers.

But from my perspective, and from Keith's, Valentina is a REALbasic
product.

Charles Yeomans