[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Thu Jun 19 15:31:30 CDT 2003

> > You can continue to buy the next versions of the single user SDKs
> > outside of this plan. However this plan would include several tiers
> > that include either one "Pro" version of an SDK (such as
> V4RB for Mac,
> > V4RB for Windows), C++ SDK, or all of the SDKs, plus the ability to
> > distribute royalty free 5 connection server apps. The subscription
> > style
> > would limit the time you could distribute new server applications to
> > having a paid up subscription. But you'd also get free
> upgrades to the
> > covered products during that time.
>
> As I see it, the point of a subscription model is to decouple the
> revenue stream from the development cycle.  And I can see that such a
> plan has some advantages for us as well as Paradigma.  But a
> time-limited subscription model asks us to assume all of the
> risk.  In
> short, I wouldn't purchase a license that time-limited my ability to
> sell software.

Please go into more detail. The point to this is that for the duration
(Im thinking 2 years initially with 1 or 2 year renewals), you are
getting technology upgrades to the covered products and also the right
to continue to deploy those royalty free 5 connection servers. Another
consideration is that at the end of an unrenewed subscription, you could
continue to buy additional 5 connection deployments and ala carte
everything.

Something else I want to toss in here -- there are going to be some
other benefits as well. For example, a modest set of initial connections
that come with the subscription. My thinking with this is that the value
of those additional connections should offset a fair amount of the price
of the initial two year subscription.

> But from my perspective, and from Keith's, Valentina is a REALbasic
> product.

Do you mean the V4RB component and its successors, Embedded Server,
Valentina 2 Server or all of the above?

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President