[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Thu Jun 19 12:53:29 CDT 2003

> > Could you give us an idea (or range) on what it will cost
> to buy vSerever
> > for development and how much to distribute 50,500, 1000
> applications per
> > year with an embedded vServer?
>
> I think Lynn will not wish to discover prices yet in the
> public way. Lynn?

I would like to get some general feedback before I taint the list with
my ideas ;-)

> By the way, Keith, I wonder why you underline per - year ???
> We do NOT have dependency on year! Correct?

I think he means because we do have a subscription model in mind. What's
on the table is that there would be a subscription oriented service
called VDN.

You can continue to buy the next versions of the single user SDKs
outside of this plan. However this plan would include several tiers that
include either one "Pro" version of an SDK (such as V4RB for Mac, V4RB
for Windows), C++ SDK, or all of the SDKs, plus the ability to
distribute royalty free 5 connection server apps. The subscription style
would limit the time you could distribute new server applications to
having a paid up subscription. But you'd also get free upgrades to the
covered products during that time.

> Totte, when you will get free time?
> I think it will be very interesting for Keith to hear your
> opinion about our price scheme. Totte was happy with our
> first model, I think when he will see our latest model he
> will become very excited.  :-)
>
> Again, if Lynn will say no prices yet on public then we will
> discuss them privately. On public only we discuss idea of
> licensing way.

I agree. Pricing is the last step on which to make a decision for us. I
think many folks who know me from the REALbasic list know I have some
specific ideas about sales and distribution, however we are already
planning on several EULA and licensing changes based on user feedback.
That also being said, Valentina isnt a REALbasic product, and overall
planning has to take into account that we have a very significant number
of Director and Revolution developers, and a growing group of VB and
Delphi developers.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President