[discussion] Schema of Valentina server licensing

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Jun 20 00:27:15 CDT 2003

on 6/19/03 23:03, Charles Yeomans at yeomans at desuetude.com wrote:

>> I'm a little curious by the lack of any response to Ruslan's discussion
>> request. Are any of you planning multi-user Valentina based apps? Since
>> development costs for embedded apps are dramatically changing from v1,
>> thought there'd be interest in this topic.  Or perhaps the initial
>> email was
>> just a bit complex.
>
> There is, but it's not clear that there is anything to discuss.  As I
> understand it, there will be  two versions of VServer.  One is an
> application that serves databases.   The licensing fees for the VServer
> app will be a function of the number of simultaneous connections
> allowed.

Correct. Here nothing to discuss.,
For example price can be (THIS IS NOT REAL PRICE! :-)

    10 connection server        = $10
    100                         = $100
    1000                        = $1000
    unlimited                   = $2000

> The other is (in REALbasic terms) a plugin that we can use to write our
> own server;

Not exactly. More correct:
"Embedded Valentina Server" includes:

    Vserver.exe or Vserver service
    and V4RB client plugin.

Just V4RB client contains in fact 2 sets of classes
    a) for remote access of customer database
    b) for remote administration of server.

So you can use a) to develop CLIENT COMPONENT of your app,
and b) for SERVER COMPONENT of your app.
Note that this server component actually can be as on server computer, so on
remote computer!

> I assume that the license will restrict developers from
> writing a competitor to VServer.

Correct, Charles.

> Now I assume that Lynn and Ruslan want to set up the pricing for the VServer
> plugin so as to be roughly equivalent to selling copies of the VServer app.

> Apparently, the way this will work is that we pay a one-time fee to license
> VServer.
> This license will allow us to write and distribute server apps that allow 5
> simultaneous connections.

Yes correct. EACH member of "Valentina Developer Network" will have ability
distribute even million of copies of his ServerApp that allow 5 connections
and pay us ZERO $.

> To enable more simultaneous connections for a customer, we purchase more
> connection licenses from Paradigma and resell them to the customer.

Correct, Charles.

> Ruslan also suggests that we can buy these connection licenses in bulk and get
> a lower unit price on connection licenses.

Again correct :-)

> If I have interpreted Ruslan's e-mail correctly, I think this is pretty
> reasonable in design; all that remains to be known is specific pricing.

Nice to hear.

No question to you Charles.
Assume you have sale 10,000 copies of your application with 5connection.
Assume you have sale it at price $50-$500.
So you get $500,000 - $5,000,000

Now let 5,000 your customers want to have 15 connections.
So you need sale them 5,000 * (15 - 5) = 50,000 connections.
Such bulk you can buy from us for $1 per connection.

So you need pay us $50,000, and you now can resale this connections at price
that is acceptable on market. This is  $1-$70.
Therefore you can get $50,000 - $3,500,000.

Question is, is OUR price: $50,000 sounds reasonable
comparing to Developer's profit ?

----
Just the last 2 weeks we have hot discussion with Keith.
Keith point that for developer tools price in tens of thousands of $ is not
acceptable. Keith point us as example codeBase.

In answer we point all other DBs such mySQL, OpenBase, ... Which all have
prices several times higher for embedded solutions.

Keith say, Valentina is not the same to mySQL or openBase.
I am not agree. MySQL by big letters on their site say:
            "We offer embedded license"

So why Valentina is worse of mySQL???  :-)

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com